FACT CHECK: Bipartisanship
Grassley works with anyone as long as it’s good for Iowa.
- The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School ranked Chuck Grassley 12th in its bipartisan cooperation index for the most recently completed session of Congress, calculated by co-sponsorship of bills and the ability to work across the aisle.
- He ranks 6th among the current senators in lifetime score and 14th among all senators in lifetime score.
- The nonpartisan Center for Effective Lawmaking ranked Senator Grassley as one of the top ten most-effective senators in the 116th Congress.
- In the last six years, Grassley has worked on 1,326 pieces of legislation. 312 of these passed the Senate and 52 of them were signed into law. All legislation signed into law was bipartisan.
- In 2019, Grassley led the Senate in most bills enacted into law.
Mike Franken has a pattern of partisan rhetoric, including disrespecting the majority of Iowans who are Republican. Frankly speaking, Mike Franken is talking out of both sides of his mouth. His slogan says one thing — “country over party” and “people over politics” and his mouth says quite the opposite.
- Mike Franken:
- Called Republicans “heretics,” “half-brained,” “lapdogs”, and “evil;”
- Said Governor Reynolds needs to “get on her broom and fly away;”
- Said “Sen. Joni Ernst, an Iowa National Guard lieutenant colonel, would agree with him and follow his lead;”
- Encouraged Democrats to kick Republicans in the shin; and
- Said Republican patriotism is nonsense multiple times.